Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"Tough" Times

I happened to be performing a minor laser procedure on an old patient of mine today. We got to talking and he brought up the issue about the reportedly tough times of the day. If you ever get to thinking you've got it tough, and need a little pick-me-up, engage an old-timer about how things were not so long ago. He mentioned that back in the mid-30's life was a bit different when described as difficult. He was lamenting the huge government spending of the day and talked about how the government infused $500 million to help get out of the depression. "Didn't work then, and it won't work now. The thing that ultimately turned things around was The War. Wasn't until 1950, 15 years later, that things got better, then the Korean War boosted things again." He recalled that folks were much more willing to sacrifice day to day things to help in the war effort. If you needed to go somewhere, which you didn't do unless you really needed to, you walked, because they needed the gasoline. You did without metal, rubber, meals, new clothes, and only bought what you absolutely needed. You knew your neighbors, because everyone helped each other out.... and everyone needed help.

He went on to talk about how very few do without today. The vast majority of us have all the food, clothing, gasoline, household goods... and other "needs". Most of us are able to go where and when we need. Seems everyone, including those on state assistance, have cell phones, cars, and medical care. In my position, I see these folks every day. I don't mean to make light of those less fortunate. It just seems there are few who really suffer from lack of want. I do ocassinally see those that are truly "needy", but it seems like they are the ones who don't ask for much. They don't generally ask for assistance, but it is usually obvious that they need help. Few of these folks are actually on state assitance. They generally have jobs, albeit, poorly paid ones. But they don't play the pity card. They accept who and where they are, and easily accept what they can, and can't, have. Some times what they need is surgery. When faced with that as an only option to improve their sight, they usually are satisfied that they'll just have to wait. We'll always check to see if one of the generous eye surgeons will help out, and they generally do. These folks are a bit uncomfortable with taking charity, and sometimes reluctantly accept, IF they need it to keep their job. Some won't, and gladly accept the fact that they will just do without. Of course, these are the ones for which we work the hardest. Would we all be so humble? I think it's a sign of maturity and selflessness to humbly accept your situation, however difficult, and expect no one to fix it for you.

The truth is, I believe, few today understand what it is to really do without, to have unmet needs. Most have unmet "wants". We live in a time of unmatched comfort, safety and affluence. Life expectancy is at an all time high. Life, through out human history has been a far more dangerous and difficult existence than it is today. My parents' generation understand this better than do we. They understand and recognize a real problem or threat, and know what it means to live within one's means. If you want or need something and you can't afford it, you do without it, until you can afford it. Today, it generally means one bought to much of something else and don't have enough left over for other stuff they want.

Hearing the difficult state of financial affairs, the pain, in this great country, seems to offend a little. Are we really in that much pain? Losing a $100K job is pain? I'd argue that someone with a $30K a year job is much more likely to experience pain. If I were to lose my job, for example, the things I own would have to go. The house, the lake house, the boat, the nice cars, etc. I'd then have to find a smaller house or apartment, drive a smaller and less expensive car, eat fewer steaks and more hamburger, have fewer days off, and the like. But, I'd probably end up with a perfectly good roof over my head, and a reasonably dependable car, and probably wouldn't miss many meals. I'd still be healthy, still have my family that loves me, my kids would have to take more responsibility for the "things" they have and "need". But, is that pain? The hit my pride woud suffer, and the embarrassment, might feel like pain. But wouldn't I have more than my parents and grandparents had for much of their lives? Would I have more that the generations before that?

What we're going through today as a nation is not pain. It's just less than what we've been accustomed to. It's better than any of us had 20 years ago. Let's hope we don't experience real pain. How would we deal with that, if we think today is painful?

The key is to get up every day, be thankful for what we have, the real things like family and close friends, and go to work and make someone else happy. The best anti-depressant is to quit thinking about what we don't have and help someone who really doesn't. Sounds old and cliche, but it is true. The happiest people are the ones who own their things, and don't let their things own them. Unfortunately, the more we have, the more we want. My mother told me that when I was a child, but I finally understand it. Funny how many things my parents taught me didn't sink in until I became an adult. Can't ever repay enough, but I can pass it on to those I care about. And they'll understand it one day. Hopefully, and probably, earlier in life than did I.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment