Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ode to a Good Man

Bob Owens was buried this past Tuesday, August 11. He passed away in his sleep on the previous Friday, August 7, 2009. As usual, I was rushing to get things done before leaving the office for the funeral, and rushing to get out and back to the office since I'd been gone for what I felt was a bit too long. During the service, I was struck by the things I learned about a man, my uncle, who I thought I knew reasonably well.

Little did I know how many lives he touched. Several people I didn't know, walked to the pulpit, one after another, to tell us all how Bob had touched their life or gave them a helping hand along the way. I had always know that Bob had worked hard, at least since I had known him from the time I was a young boy. Often times he missed family get-togethers over holidays because he had to go check on a well-site. But I didn't know the things I heard from all who spoke.

I learned that at age 14, his father passed away, and because of the loss of the family's bread-winner, he needed to contribute. At that young age, he took a job delivering milk in Okmulgee, a job that required him to awaken at 4am. He worked hard all through high school, and I doubt it was for spending money. His mother worked as a butcher in town. I also didn't know that my father worked with her there while he was a young man, but that's when he met Bob. He obviously knew him quite some time before he married my father's sister, Billie Sue, some years later.

We heard stories from some who worked with Bob in the oil business, neighbors, high school friends, fellow Mason's, classmates at OSU, and others that had known Bob throughout his life. I must say I had no idea he was so well liked among those outside our family. The common denominator of all the stories and heart felt eulogies, was how dependable and consistent he was. Many of those that spoke didn't know the others who offered similar accolades for the man who, by all accounts, lived his life making sure his family was taken care of, letting his friends knew he cared, and helping his neighbors by contributing to his community in any way he could. He raised money for scholarships for deserving students at OSU, his alma mater, to which he was a loyal alumnis.

I've got to say, I had no idea the kind of man he was. I knew I always enjoyed talking to him, and listening to his views on things political. He once told me something that didn't make much sense at the time, but now know he was absolutely right. "If you owe the bank $50,000, they own you," he said, "but, if you owe the bank $500,000, you own them."

He'll certainly be missed. But it won't be because of the financial obligations or monetary support for his family. He took care of that responsibility. He'll be missed because of the stuff he gave away for free.

Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment